Friday, May 30, 2008

What a Macaroon!

Last weekend Pete and I did one of our favorite things and browsed the local bookstore. While he was on the search for Wizard magazine to price his childhood comic book collection, I was elbow deep in Food & Wine, Bon Appetite, and well you get the idea. Being ever the gentleman Pete told me to pick a nice food magazine out and he' d buy it for me. I ended up walking out of there with Taste of Home's 5 Ingredient Recipe book.

Many of the cooking dishes are straight forward preparations so it's no surprise I found the baking section a bit more interesting. The first recipe I prepared are the chewy coconut macaroons on the very last page. The 5 ingredients for this simple cookie are non-fat sweetened condense milk, almond extract, flour, salt, and coconut flakes. To make it my own and closer to my favorite cookie flavors, I crushed up about 1/2 cup pine nuts and added them to batter for texture and flavor enhancement. Plus, I had them leftover from the pignolis and didn't want to see them go to waste!

Chewy Coconut Macaroons. Pete took this photo and did such a great job! I've got to figure out how to get him to photograph all my food which shouldn't be too hard since he eats it all anyway. o_O

0 comments:

Post a Comment